Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Decorating cookies

Hannah's helping me cleanup.
Hannah and I decorated sugar cookies (we omitted the almond extract because I'm not a fan) this morning.  After mixing all the ingredients in the mixer, I had to stop to calm Ethan down because he was shrieking from the noise.  He absolutely hates loud noises; at the wedding we went to 2 weeks ago he shrieked everytime people clapped.  While the cookie dough chilled in the fridge.  Hannah and I made colored sugar to decorate the cookies.  It was so simple.

blue, purple, and green colored sugar


Colored Sugar
1/2 cup of sugar for each color (I wanted to make extra)
food coloring
zip baggies

Put come food coloring in your baggie.  I have gel colors so I used a tooth pick and put some of the color inside but I think a few drops of liquid kind would be the same.  Add the sugar, close the bag and mix until the color is even (just a few minutes).  Note:  If you get some food coloring on your counter, lemon juice and baking soda works well.


I thought I had done it all wrong but keep mixing.


Hannah mixing up the purple.

Ethan trying to see what we were doing.



Next, we cut out the cookies.  I wanted to use my dinosaur cookie cutters for the letter D, but the dough kept getting stuck and ripping.  So we made Daisy cookies.

Hannah helped me decorate with color sugar on the uncooked cookies.  It works just like glitter because its so fine.  First we sprinkled, then we used a spaghetti spoon and the spatula as a sugar stencil.  The spoon had holes in it and the spatula had large lined grooves.  Note:  keeping the layer of sugar as thin as possible worked better because the sugar melted into the cookie much nicer.

sprinkling 

Our finished flowers

Spatula on the right, spaghetti spoon on the left.

Our matching aprons


1 comment:

Andrew said...

You guys are so cute, and you have so much fun when I'm not home! I wish I had been there :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...